On Mar 10, 2011, at 16:29, Carlos Eduardo Mello wrote:

> - Then I thought of a disclosure button to the side of each text field, to
> emphasize the idea that the graphical input mode would be an extra, more
> complex way of inserting data; but that still doesn't feel right.

I think this is starting to be the right approach.

My first reaction is that you're struggling because you want the graphical view
to be modeless (when it is visible, in terms of editing the parameters), but
simultaneously modal (since it represents an alternate mode to text field
entry). You're probably stuck with that duality, but you can probably handle
it. Here's a suggestion:

1. Beside each text field, put a small button (say about 20 x 20 points -- just
large enough to click on comfortably) that indicates the graphical view.
Clicking on the button opens the graphical editor.

2. When the graphical editor is open, hide the corresponding text field and its
associated button. In place of the text field, display a larger image that
represents the graphical editor mode. I would argue for making this a live
preview -- have it show the actual contents of the graphical editor, but
reduced to about the size of the original text field box. (That way, you get
also an idea of what the other graphical editors are doing when they're active
but not open at full size.)

Beside each preview, put a "Cancel" button -- the white 'x' in a gray circle
for example. Clicking this swaps the text field and original button back in.

3. Get rid of the segmented control. Although I can't quite visualize it from
your description, it sounds like awful UI choice for the purpose. :)

4. Whenever a graphical editor is open, the text field must be swapped out, but
the reverse isn't true -- the text field can be swapped out even though the
larger graphic editor is closed. (Hence the need for a preview there.)

HTH