On Mar 20, 2011, at 12:45 PM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2011, at 19:17, Rick Mann wrote:
>
>> I have some code, called from a subclass of NSOperation, that throws an
>> exception pretty reliably if I put a breakpoint elsewhere in the code (it is
>> code that does an HTTP request, and it's getting a broken pipe, and raising
>> an exception to report it; the breakpoint (in another thread) seems to
>> trigger this behavior).
>>
>> My NSOperation subclass wraps the call to the network code in a @try/catch
>> block. But when this exception is raised, the app terminates due to an
>> uncaught exception.
>>
>> Any idea why?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Rick
>>
> Can you give us the exception report?
> Is it an NSException instance?

Yes. It is raised by this line of code:

    [NSException raise:NSInvalidArchiveOperationException format:@"Network
error domain:%@ code:%d", [requestError domain], [requestError code]];

> This might indicate that your exception is not occurring on your main thread.

It is most certainly NOT occurring on the main thread. Never said it was (in
fact, I figured the bit about NSOperation would imply it was not).

Here's the trace:

2011-03-20 18:41:13.233 MissionClock[17979:7e03] *** Terminating app due to
uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArchiveOperationException', reason: 'Network error
domain:NSURLErrorDomain code:-1005'
*** Call stack at first throw:
(
        0   CoreFoundation                      0x015be5a9
__exceptionPreprocess + 185
        1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x01712313 objc_exception_throw
+ 44
        2   CoreFoundation                      0x01576ef8 +[NSException
raise:format:arguments:] + 136
        3   CoreFoundation                      0x01576e6a +[NSException
raise:format:] + 58
        4   MissionClock                        0x00010920
-[CWDistantHessianObject(Private) sendRequestWithPostData:] + 426
        5   MissionClock                        0x000115ad
-[CWDistantHessianObject forwardInvocation:] + 77
        6   CoreFoundation                      0x0152fa04 ___forwarding___ +
1124
        7   CoreFoundation                      0x0152f522
_CF_forwarding_prep_0 + 50
        8   MissionClock                        0x0001aef8 -[GetMissionListOp
main] + 722
        9   Foundation                          0x00128b76
-[__NSOperationInternal start] + 747
        10  Foundation                          0x001287ca
____startOperations_block_invoke_2 + 106
        11  libdispatch_sim.dylib               0x01bf1289
_dispatch_call_block_and_release + 16
        12  libdispatch_sim.dylib               0x01bf458a
_dispatch_worker_thread2 + 252
        13  libSystem.B.dylib                   0x92b46d41 _pthread_wqthread +
390
        14  libSystem.B.dylib                   0x92b46b86 start_wqthread + 30
)
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'
Program received signal:  “SIGABRT”.

--
Rick