On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2011, at 13:44, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
>> How do experienced folks layout their interfaces? Is Interface Builder
>> used? I seem to recall Mark and LeMarche stating that Apple recommends
>> IB. But I seem to be having chronic problems with it (3.2.5 and
>> 3.2.6).
>
> The symptoms you reported suggest you have a memory management error, and
> that's nothing to do with IB. Blaming IB isn't going to help. :)
>
> If it's a memory management problem relating to the retention of objects
> loaded from a nib, you really have to absorb *all* of the information in:
>

> http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/LoadingResources/CocoaNibs/CocoaNibs.html
>
> There's no magic involved here, just a few key things that are done for you
> that you typically don't have to be aware of, until something goes wrong.

Forgive my ignorance here....

In the view wants to show the "About Box": the view calls
[[AboutBoxController alloc] init] and then
presentModalViewController:animated:.

Does the following (from Apple's documentation [1]) mean that the
calling view *does not* need to release? I was under the impression
that I was responsible for releasing everything I alloc'd.

    "dismissModalViewControllerAnimated: ... If you want to retain
    a reference to the receiver’s modal view controller, get the
    value in the modalViewController property before calling this
    method."

Jeff

[1]
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/uikit/reference/UIViewController_Class/Reference/Reference.html