On Apr 15, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

> Of late, I've been working to remove NSString-based paths, FSRefs, and
> Alias Manager usage in my code, in favour of NSURL.
>
> But I'm having trouble with alias files.
>
> NSOpenPanel helpfully, by default, resolves aliases before it returns
> the URL to you.  But NSPathControl does not and file drops that you get
> off NSPasteboard also do not.  So in many cases I need to manually check
> if a URL points to an alias file, and find the file it points to.  Am I
> missing an easy/modern way to do this?

Yes.  Bookmark data is the modern replacement for alias records.  The new
bookmark APIs are backward compatible with aliases, including alias files.  See
the documentation for +[NSURL bookmarkDataWithContentsOfURL:error:].  You'd
follow that with
-URLByResolvingBookmarkData:options:relativeToURL:bookmarkDataIsStale:error:.

Cheers,
Ken