On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:44:06 -0500, Ken Thomases said:

>> NSOpenPanel helpfully, by default, resolves aliases before it returns
>> the URL to you.  But NSPathControl does not and file drops that you get
>> off NSPasteboard also do not.  So in many cases I need to manually check
>> if a URL points to an alias file, and find the file it points to.  Am I
>> missing an easy/modern way to do this?
>
>Yes.  Bookmark data is the modern replacement for alias records.  The
>new bookmark APIs are backward compatible with aliases, including alias
>files.  See the documentation for +[NSURL
>bookmarkDataWithContentsOfURL:error:].  You'd follow that with -
>URLByResolvingBookmarkData:options:relativeToURL:bookmarkDataIsStale:error:.

Yeah, that works, but is not easy.

I find it quite strange that there is a URLByResolvingSymlinksInPath
method, but no corresponding method to change a URL to an alias file
into a URL to the target file.  Seems this is a common operation, much
more so than doing the same with symlinks.  The Mac GUI doesn't even let
users create symlinks, but does let them create alias files.

I was hoping I missed something.... but I guess not.

Cheers!