On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:52 AM, P Teeson wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion.
> I did look at all the sample projects and know about that approach.
> But it does seem somewhat inelegant.
> Am I missing something available using IOKit?

The code you had in your original post looked just as straightforward (or
inelegant?) as enumerating through all attached volumes to look for telltale
signs of DVD's.

What's the big picture of what you are trying to do?

AFAIK, IOKit is meant for things attached physically to your hardware. When you
connect to a remote DVD, does anything obvious change in the IORegistry (which
you can look at via the IORegistryExplorer utility app)?