I believe Audio units need 44100 Hz, but I'm not sure about that. Regardless,
decoding mp3 with an AudioConverter should not introduce any glitches at that
rate - any iOS device should be able to handle that without issues.

The 4096 is the right value for any iOS device. Without seeing your code, I
don't know where your glitches are coming from. Are you by any chance reading
from disk on the same thread that you're playing audio on, or doing anything
else that could cause that thread to block?

Hank