I've seen gnu documentation for srandom that suggest the equivalent of Kevin's
suggestion, namely "srandom(time(0))". Not sure if using the NSDate has any
advantage over a call to time() and it would avoid this type of thing (gnu is
likely to ensure time() and srandom() work correctly together).

Aaron