On 2011-06-29, at 13:58 , Fritz Anderson wrote:

>  Apple may be (and probably is) using methods more primitive than
> retain/release/autorelease. It may (probably has, and very probably will)
> change the implementation between point releases of the operating system.

This is absolutely obvious, but you are failing the point. I don't personally
care how Apple "really" implements it, I just would like to see which code
would pretty much lead to exactly the same behavior. That this code might be
entirely different than the real code is of no importance to anyone, I guess.
And of course using properties is in theory a good thing, since I bet most of
them is implemented in plain-C, possible even some hand written assembly code,
and thus certainly faster and more effective than any code you could ever write
yourself using high level Objective-C.

However I cannot use something correctly if there is no documentation of how it
actually works. E.g. the question how nonatomic influences assign properties
(if it does influence them at all!) is a critical and absolutely valid
question, especially if it has similar *UNEXPECTED* side effects as it has for
retain properties (and you cannot avoid "assign" properties entirely, otherwise
you can get circular references and thus leaking memory).

Kind regards,