Ok I have double-checked and the icon isn't actually the issue since I call
iconForFile: after using stat.  With the original code I posted it just gives
me today's date.  I can go into Finder and as an example I found a file that
has a Last Opened date of 2009 and when I run stat it gives me today's date.
So it looks like stat is definitely not working...

Is there not an older Carbon method that was used for this before?  Is the only
way by using spotlight metadata?

On a related note...I just updated one of my drives to Lion GM and on that
drive I had a hard time to find a file with a different Last Opened date vs.
Last Modified.  Makes me think the Last Opened date in Finder is coming from
spotlight metadata could that be true?  If so then it looks like using the
spotlight metadata and just falling back on the modification date might be the
right way to go anyways???