Hello,

I have a visualisation application that displays multiple graphs (currently
using NSCollectionView, but possibly switching to an NSView-based NSTableView
in the future) that looks like this:
http://www.maven.de/code/wowplot/example_chains.png

When you scroll sideways, the "title" of each graph stays in place, whereas the
rest of the content scrolls as usual. Currently, I simply redraw the whole
graph (well, the visible bit). This strikes me as rather inefficient, because I
essentially need to redraw the complete visible portion onScroll instead of
only the freshly revealed bit.
There are some things I can think of, but I'm unsure on which would be the most
appropriate way:
- Put an NSTextLabel inside the NSScrollView's contentView and dynamically
reposition it into the visibleRect.
- Add a largely transparent subview to the NSScrollView (so it's the same size
as the visible portion) and draw all titles in there, transforming coordinates
as needed.

Preferably, the compositing would only happen once when the visibleRect
changes, not each frame (so the transparent blend doesn't each too much
graphics memory bandwidth).

Has anyone got any experience with this or suggestions on which way would be
most appropriate?

Thanks,