On Jul 19, 2011, at 23:28, Vincent wrote:

> More specifically, I have a NSPanel, with some NSTextField inside, and would
> like the editing to begin immediately in the first text field when the panel
> appears. I thus set the initialFirstResponder outlet to the field I’d like
> the edition to start in. But when the panel shows (modally), all the fields
> are inactive: I have to explicitly select one of them by clicking.
>
> I’ve tried to call -setFirstResponder: with my NSTextField as parameter (or
> even -[myTextField performClick:]) inside the -didBecomeKey delegate methods,
> to no avail.

What does "shows (modally)" mean?

The initial first responder is the view that's *going to be* the first
responder, when it's window becomes key. Panels don't become key at the same
times as regular windows, so it's possible you need to call
'makeKeyAndOrderFront:' on the panel after showing it. Also, panels can be
configured to become key "only when necessary", meaning you need to click on
something that accepts first responder status in order to make the window key.
You should check the setting of that property, too.