Hi

I wrote a class that stores data common to all instances in an, init file, but
when I create new instances, + (void) initialize isn't getting called. I
thought that initialize was always called before anything else, so am a but
confused why it isn't working. I don't want to create a global "initialized"
flag and have to check that inside every method. Here's a stripped down version
of the initialize method. Anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Is there any other
way to insure that initialize is called before any other method in the class?

static NSMutableString                  *gSharedData
= nil;

@implementation DBWord

+ (void) initialize
{
        @synchronized(self)
        {
                if (gSharedData == nil)
                {
                        NSLog(@"made it to here");

                        NSError         *error          = nil;
                        gSharedData     = [[NSMutableString alloc]
initWithContentsOfFile: @"/path/to/shared/file.txt" encoding:
NSUTF16StringEncoding error: &error];

@end