I appreciate all the comments on the problem I had with drawRect not
getting called.  I finally extracted the code that was not working and
put it in a new program, and it worked perfectly.  I'm still not sure
whether there was a problem in my code or if I unearthed a problem in
Cocoa, but I'm now adding the rest of the original program to the new
program, and the graphics are working.

I understand that people who program in only one environment want to
see code that matches the way they learned to program.  That causes
problems for those of us who work in multiple environments, some of
which have a whole different set of "rules".  However, maybe it's a
sign that software development is still at an early stage that some
environments insist on Data and others insist on data.  I do think
it's important to keep in mind the difference between code and data,
and some of the suggestions I got seemed to show some lack of clarity
in that area. Confusing the two may work in certain specific
environments, but it reflects a misunderstanding of the way computers
actually work.  I think it's important to have an awareness of the
difference.

Thanks again for your help.