On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:31 PM, Tom Jeffries wrote:

> I do think
> it's important to keep in mind the difference between code and data,
> and some of the suggestions I got seemed to show some lack of clarity
> in that area. Confusing the two may work in certain specific
> environments, but it reflects a misunderstanding of the way computers
> actually work.  I think it's important to have an awareness of the
> difference.

Code and data interact in different ways at different levels, and the
distinction isn’t always clear-cut. In some languages it’s very blurry indeed
(LISP, shell scripts, machine code). Object-oriented languages have specific
ways code and data combine, functional languages have others. It sounded from
some of your earlier messages* like you may not be used to object-oriented
languages (or maybe just used to very rigid ones like C++ or Java), so some
things you interpreted as unclear might just reflect a different way of
thinking than you’re used to.

—Jens

*(In particular, it seemed like you were using ‘function’ and ‘variable’ in
ways that didn’t reflect what was actually going on in the program)