>> Sadly, Cocoa and many of the frameworks on which it is based really do
depend on the main thread and its run loop.  Events have to be received
there and its run loop has to be serviced (run) on a regular basis.

this situation is basically the same on other platforms. the events come in
on some particular thread (the main one or whatever) and they must be
process & not blocked

we developed an architecture where the events come in on the main loop and
are passed off to another thread. the worker thread must run some things on
the main loop, but all in all the main loop remains free to run.

hope that helps.