On Jul 31, 2011, at 08:58, Jim Thomason wrote:

> I have a multithreaded CoreData application. It does a lot of
> calculations on the context, so it spawns off a separate thread and
> creates a new ManagedObjectContext to do its work. AFAIK, I'm
> following proper Best Practices for multi-threaded core data access.
> This all works fine.

> I didn't want to worry about jumping through the hoops of merging the
> contexts, so I just ensure the main context is clean and saved. It
> invokes saveDocument, then checks to see if the context still has
> changes, and if it does it bombs out and refuses to continue, assuming
> that the save failed for some reason.

You're trying to follow "Best Practices" for Core Data, but you're abusing
Save. :)

The problem is that I can't think of any reason why it would be acceptable for
an application to save a document without the user's consent (it takes away the
user's ability to, at the very least, close the document *without* saving
changes, which turns the application into a ticking time bomb) ...

OR

... (if you have a genuine justification for taking the Save metaphor away from
the user) why you would use NSPersistentDocument at all, rather than using Core
Data directly, including [NSManagedContext save:] to push your changes to the
persistent store.