> -saveDocument: has never been expected to do its work immediately. Instead,
> you want to call:
>
> -saveDocumentWithDelegate:didSaveSelector:contextInfo:
>
> Then, when the delegate is called, spawn off your new MOC.

That's exactly what I needed. A little rewiring of the app to use the
delegate method and hand in a few new flags regarding whether any
changes were saved and I'm back in business. Guess it was just dumb
luck that it consistently behaved the other way on the older OSes.

And, incidentally, I'd say that the auto-save is justified - it's at a
point where the user should have saved all changes anyway ("Okay, my
data is stable. Now analyze it."), so it just saves it for them if
necessary instead of prompting to require it.

Thanks!

-Jim.....