It's a validation file containing registration details. My product is an AudioUnit plugin so there's no App Store potential but I'd prefer to keep things clean just in case.

I don't care where I write the file much (previously I wrote it to "/ Library/Preferences") but even the hard drive root path is off limits. Other suggestions include writing data into the keychain but this is just a Lion compatibility fix and I'm not sure how keychain access from within an AU would work out in practice.

I register the whole machine rather than individual users. Any other suggestions as to where to write it?
Stephen