On 8 Aug 2011, at 10:36, Sean McBride wrote:

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 01:04:07 -0600, Eli Bach said:

It's a validation file containing registration details. My product is
an AudioUnit plugin so there's no App Store potential but I'd prefer to
keep things clean just in case.

I don't care where I write the file much (previously I wrote it to "/
Library/Preferences") but even the hard drive root path is off limits.
Other suggestions include writing data into the keychain but this is
just a Lion compatibility fix and I'm not sure how keychain access from
within an AU would work out in practice.

I register the whole machine rather than individual users. Any other
suggestions as to where to write it?
Stephen

Some apps, including iTunes, using /Users/Shared/ for DRM. It may still be world-writable in Lion [which I can't confirm as I haven't switched
yet...come on 10.7.2...].

It's still writable.

I fear that many apps will now start saving all kinds of stuff willy- nilly into this folder, instead of with the nice structure in / Library.

I'm afraid your fears have just been confirmed, until I find a better solution at least. Maybe I can justify this as a kind of protest against AudioUnits not being allowed in the App Store :-)

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Stephen

Sometimes one wants to save preferences at the machine domain, and kCFPreferencesAnyUser lets you do this, though you'll need to use SMJobBless() to do so.

This email sent to step...@audiospillage.com