Hi,

I have a master/detail view for a list of contacts. The most frequent use case
is: perform a search, if the contact is found, enter secondary data (other than
name, address etc), if not, enter contact's primary and secondary data. No
problem here, as this is fairly common database data entry. The detail view is
pretty crowded though, having a note textview and 2 tableviews not counting the
person's infos and other non editable fields. I want to both save space and
prevent errors by using labels (concatenating name and address) for the contact
fields.

I need to provide a way to enter the contact infos and thought about using an
NSPopover but there's a catch: when the user will enter the street name, there
will be a query on the database backend and she'll select one from a list. For
example, if she enters "man" the list will display all street names starting
with "man" in any city and the city's name. After she'll pick one, the city,
postal code and other infos will get filled automatically. It seems like a good
use for an NSPopover too but this also means that using a popover for editing
the contact's info become questionable (popover over popover).  Also, this
application is using a lot of data entry, mostly keyboard driven and there's a
lot of information that should reside in the main view.

I thought about using a tabview with 2 panes for the contact infos but this
means I have to resize the tabview when it's showing the editable fields and
move things around in the view to make room for it. Not sure how or if this can
be done. Also, the main window is using most of the screen so, I can't just
resize the window.

I've search the web for master/detail interface ideas without too much success.

Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks,

Andre Masse

PS: This is an in house application with only 2 users.