Working for a small company, alot of time beta, nay even alpha, products go
straight into production.

The conversation goes something like this:

Developer - "Hi everyone, to address our inventory issues, I created a program
that ...."
User - "Lets take a look"
User - " Oh my God, this is exactly what we have been looking for, Thanks we'll
use it!"

At this point, no matter how much you try to convince them that the application
is only an alpha or beta test product, they are going to start using it in
production. If that application crashes, and they can restart it, that's one
thing. Missing a piece of code to give them better detail, that is another
thing. If the app date deceases, and they can not use it again, until you
decide, find yourself another job.

Ideal conditions are created in a lab, but in the real world, there is no such
thing as ideal conditions. Trying to create controls, you only create more
problems.