What if you intercept the event a bit higher, in [NSWindow sendEvent:]?

The right click gets intercepted by the toolbar view because it's got its own
menu; it's likely your users won't discover your menu because they're expecting
that one. I have toolbar items with menus, but they're NSButtons that show the
menu on left-click. Have you considered using an NSButton and setting its image
to NSImageNameActionTemplate ("An action menu template image")? That would be
discoverable and accessible.

(Meant to hit reply-all)