On Sep 6, 2011, at 12:20 , Luc Van Bogaert wrote:

> I've been struggling trying to set a viewcontroller (loaded by its own nib)
> as the delegate of another (main) viewcontroller's view in IB, while at the
> same time avoiding  'awakefromnib' being called twice on the former
> viewcontroller object, because of it being part of the latter
> viewcontroller's nib. I haven't succeeded so far, so I finally decided to use
> code. But, I'm still wondering if this is at all possible using IB. Any ideas?

It's not clear which of the 2 nib files contains the view controller. You first
say it's "loaded by its own nib", then you say it's "part of the [main view
controller's] nib". Which is it?

It's also not clear what the "this" is that you want to do using IB. Clearly,
you can't use IB to prevent 'awakeFromNib' being called twice. Why do you care
if 'awakeFromNib' is called twice, and if you care why don't you solve the
problem it causes in 'awakeFromNib' itself (such as setting a flag to prevent
your custom initialization being done twice), for which you're presumably
writing code anyway?

Also, you can perhaps take the alternative path of overriding the view
controller's 'loadView' instead of 'awakeFromNib'. That should be executed only
once, although at a different point in the view life cycle.