On 2011 Sep 10, at 16:28, John Velman wrote:

> In principle, I could change the target in outlineView:validateDrop… but the
> built in "line with circle on the left end" would still indicate it was
> dropping on a child.

No, the "line with circle on the left end" indicates that the user is dropping
between items.  The user controls the hierarchical level at which the drop
occurs by sliding the mouse to the left or right.  In contrast, "dropping *on*
a child" is indicated by the child being highlighted.

Activate Safari, click Bookmarks â–¸ Show All Bookmarks.  Play with it for a
while and you'll see what I mean.