Is there a built in way in Mac OS 10.6 for saving and, later, restoring a
"document session" in an NSDocument based application, or I should figure
out some custom method for saving and restoring this state (somewhere in
~/Library/Application Support directory)?

by saving and restoring a session I mean when the  application is being
closed, there are no requests like "Do you want to save this document?".
When the app is launched for the next time, all the documents from the
previous "session" are shown, either saved or unsaved.

There is Resume framework for restoring sessions in OS X 10.7 Lion. But what
could I do in Snow Leopard?

Thank you!