On Oct 3, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

>> 1. Apple reserves the underscore prefix for their own use, so you could, at
>> least theoretically, clash with a superclass ivar this way, and
>
> [snip]
>

>> 3. If I use an ivar prefix that no one else uses (as far as I know), then I
>> can make my class into a subclass of something from a publicly available
>> framework without needing to worry about ivar name clashes.
>
> This only matters at compile time. If you have a class that subclasses
> a framework class, and you add an ivar named "_foo", later releases of
> the OS can add an ivar named "_foo" and your application will continue
> to run on the latest release without issue. (Well, on 32-bit Mac OS X,
> they can rename an existing ivar to "_foo" without issue; adding an
> ivar will trigger the Fragile Base Class problem.)
>
> On 32-bit Mac OS X, ivar accesses get translated into an offset.
> "self->_foo = 42" gets translated into something like "*(self + 18) =
> 42". On 64-bit Mac OS X and on iOS, ivar access is done indirectly via
> symbol. "self->_foo = 42" gets translated into something like "*(self
> + OBJC_IVAR_$_MyClass__foo) = 18". Neither of these methods actually
> cares what the ivar is named (the compiler could generate offset
> symbols based on the days of the week if it wanted to).

While that’s mostly true, there are a few exceptions, such as
object_[gs]etInstanceVariable and that KVO automatic ivar thing. If Apple’s
actually using those things internally somewhere (as I learned in a recent
thread here, they do use object_setInstanceVariable for nib outlets if they’re
declared as ivars rather than KVO properties), then who knows what effect it
could have.

Besides, it’s always nice to save a few compile-time hassles, no?

Charles