> I think it really doesn't suck. You've just been lucky enough so far to be
> able to ride around on synthesized setters, so an override feels bad. Get
> over it already!

Just because I can now synthesize setters doesn't make it suck less.
Over it or under it ;)

The intend of this mail was not to bitch though, instead to see if
there was something I have missed. Looks like I didn't...

> The only part of a setter override that perhaps hurts (other than having to
> type a few extra keystrokes) is that you lose access to the lightweight
> implementation of the "atomic" attribute. It's easy to obsess about that
> too, but the class of thread synchronization problems that atomicity
> actually solves, compared to the class of synchronization problems that need
> a higher-level strategy, is so small that it's not worth avoiding setters
> only for this reason.

While I agree that this is not a big deal in practice, I am sure you'd
agree that it would be indeed nice if we could somehow call out to the
synthesized setters. I don't have so deep insights into the Obj-C
runtime but I was wondering if there is some magic one can pull off to
get to the original setters.

cheers,
Torsten