Am 06.10.2011 um 15:54 schrieb Torsten Curdt:

> Well, if the model is more complex and you bind the view to the model
> you can of course trigger the re-display on the observed changes. But
> what about a simple title property of e.g. a NSButton?
>
> ...and I guess triggering a re-display is not the only use case for
> this "setter extension" - or whatever you want to call it.

I never implement setters/getters for myself. I find it error-prone and it
feels wrong to me.

To give you another example. I use KVO to generate background images
in UIButton

[self addObserver:self forKeyPath:@"color" options:NSKeyValueObservingOptionNew
[self addObserver:self forKeyPath:@"size" options:NSKeyValueObservingOptionNew
| NSKeyValueObservingOptionOld | NSKeyValueObservingOptionInitial context:NULL];
[self addObserver:self forKeyPath:@"showShadow"
NSKeyValueObservingOptionInitial context:NULL];

- (void)observeValueForKeyPath:(NSString *)keyPath
                      ofObject:(id)object
                        change:(NSDictionary *)change
                       context:(void *)context {
    if (![change keyValueChanged]) {
        return;
    }

    if([keyPath isEqualToString:@"color"] ||
       [keyPath isEqualToString:@"size"] ||
       [keyPath isEqualToString:@"showShadow"]) {
        [self setBackgroundImage:[HDEButton
backgroundImageForButtonWithColor:self.color size:self.size]
forState:UIControlStateNormal];
        [self setBackgroundImage:[HDEButton
backgroundImageForButtonWithColor:HDEGrayBackgroundColor size:self.size]
forState:UIControlStateDisabled];
[...]

Self observing works great for