Ok,

A further update:

After doing some reading on this list, and some additional reading Apple's
site, I learned that Core Animation is being used.
Just for fun, I in my NSCollectionViewItem's NSView, I called
"setWantsLayers:YES". Suddenly my items started showing up!
(Well, they are showing up if you like garbage all over the NSView.)

In IB, I enabled the Core Animation Layer for my NSView. Then I enabled a Core
Animation layer for my NSCollectionView.
Things are almost working! However:

- Not all of the imagery is properly re-drawn.
- Why is my first NSCollectionView working just fine, yet my second one needs
all of these Animation layers enabled?

Progress at least!
My hunch is this: Two separate NSCollectionViews needs some Core Animation
tweaking to make work.

bob.