On Oct 29, 2011, at 6:04 PM, James Merkel <jmerk...@mac.com> wrote:

> Kyle Sluder <kyle.slu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We all know that Apple will not comment on future plans. It might not be a
>> good idea to encourage rampant speculation on this list.
>>
>> But as it stands right now, it's worth remembering that code signing and
>> sandboxing are orthogonal technologies, and sandboxing clearly hasn't been
>> nailed down yet.
>
> Not sure why you're saying they are orthogonal. In order to sandbox an App
> you need to sign it.

You're right, orthogonal is not the correct word. I should have said
"complementary." Code signing exists to protect the integrity of the app
bundle; sandboxing exists to protect the user from exploitation of an app's
vulnerabilities.

> One thing's for sure, whenever security people get involved with something,
> stasis sets in.

The sandboxing engineers have been fairly responsive on devforums.apple.com,
but those responses have lately devolved to "file a Radar describing how
sandboxing is interfering with your app." Of course they can't comment on the
November 1st MAS sandboxing deadline; that's still a giant question mark.

I'm under the inpression that the security folks developed app sandboxing in a
relative vacuum and presented it to the App Store team who loved the benefits
it brought. But then they announced it to the world and DTS informed them of
how much of the Mac ecosystem it actually breaks.

We really need Apple to either reiterate the deadline or announce its delay.
That announcement won't happen on this list, and the best way to influence that
decision is to give solid reasons to the sandboxing engineers via Radar (with
bug numbers posted to the dev forums) and possibly a followup email to your
friendly DTS representative.

--Kyle Sluder