Thanks Jens.

On the other hand now runModalForWindow increases retainCount! Why is that?
> It makes no sense to me.
>

> It’s probably being retained and then autoreleased by AppKit. Don’t pay
> any attention to retainCount, it’s generally not useful for detecting
> memory issues.
>
> However, note that you called -alloc to create the NSWindow, so by the
> memory guidelines you are responsible for releasing it when you’re through
> with it.

But the retainCount is needed for successful release of the window, right?
I allocate the window and then deallocate it when I'm finished with it. But
runModalForWindow increases retainCount to 2, so when I release it, it's
actually not destroyed and causes a crash afterward, because for some crazy
reason the OS tries to repaint the view in it, despite the window is
already closed...

> Also the window still appears in background (code below) and cursor cannot
> be changed.
>

> What app is this in? Is it a Carbon app? I’ve never done Cocoa-in-Carbon
> embedding but I think there may be some special considerations involved.

No no, I do it only because Apple discarded Carbon for 64bit apps. But the
app/plugin is all C++, so there should just be a small layer, that does
what Carbon does normally... ugly world of development for Apple...

>             NSUInteger style = NSBorderlessWindowMask;
>

> Borderless windows can’t get keyboard focus by default. If you want that
> you’ll have to subclass NSWindow and override -canBecomeKey.
>
> Also, running a borderless window as modal is kind of weird and probably
> contrary to the HI Guidelines. Is there a good reason this needs to not
> have a title bar?

I'm using my own styles. It may be no according to HI guidelines, but to be
honest, I don't care. The app/plugin should look the same on all platforms.

>             NSString *titlens = MStringToNSString(caption);
>             [desc->Window setTitle: titlens ];
>             [titlens release];
>

> This seems sort of weird — your MStringToNSString doesn’t return an
> autoreleased NSString? That’s against refcounting conventions and rather
> error-prone.

Yaj, ok, can you explain a little more? I don't know much about Objective
C, how should the MStringToNSString be implemented to create the
autoreleased NSString? (sorry for lack of knowledge, but I just don't plan
any further development in objc, just want the small layer...)

Vojtech