On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:39:32 +1000, Gideon King said:

>I have an application that I am just moving to using sandboxing, and it
>currently (before sandboxing) writes log files to a folder in the
>Application Support folder, then if the program crashes, or the user
>wants to submit a defect report, it launches another application that
>picks up the log files and includes them in the report that is sent to
>our development team.
>
>I am planning to have both the main application and the defect reporting
>application sandboxed, but am wondering what the best approach is for
>the log files that are written by one application and read by the other.
>
>If I migrate the log folder from the Application Support folder to
>either of my other containers, it will not be accessible to the other
>application. I therefore think I need a file access temporary exception
>set up in both applications - would this be the best approach?
>
>If so, I will need to have it relative to the Application Support
>folder, but the only settings available are relative to the user's home
>folder, and I'm worried about hard coding a reference to /Library/
>Application Support in case there are localization issues - is this
>something I need to worry about? Is it always ~/Library/Application
>Support on all systems in all languages?

Yes, the names are constant in all languages on the file system, though the UI
displays them localized.  Still, in general, you shouldn't hardcode paths.
They changed between OS 9 and OS X and could change again.

I'm not sure there is a good solution for your problem.  I'd file a bug.  I
suspect Apple only cares about apps in their store, for which I believe Apple
provides developers crash logs.  Even using asl APIs to read logs does not work
in the sandbox.

Cheers,