Explicitly declaring your ivars makes them easier to see in the
debugger.  Otherwise you have to call the property accessor from gdb's
command line to look at it.

I feel that it's helpful to declare them in any case, so I can
more-easily tell how much memory each of my objects is taking up by
looking at its list of ivars.

Not every property is backed by the ivar it acts as asscessors for.
It's perfectly legal to implement custom accessors that do other
things than set or get instance variables.  They could instead run
some sort of calculation, or set some other combination of ivars.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation