Ah...

Have you read the documentation for NSCell's -hitTestForEvent:inRect:ofView: ?

In particular the note:

If the cell not disabled, and it would track, return NSCellHitContentArea
|NSCellHitTrackableArea.

I believe that for dragging to work you do NOT want to return
NSCellHitTrackableArea. What happens in your custom cell class if you  return
just NSCellHitContentArea?

(I'm assuming from your original message that you had been using the default
hit test implementation.)

(Sent from my iPhone.)

--
Conrad Shultz