First of all, thanks all for the input.

After thinking about it a lot this morning, I probably should have approached
this with a different question :)

"Starting with a base64 encoded string, how do I obtain a series of float
values out of it?"

The string is obtained from an XML file (using NSXMLParser), and the structure
contents of the xml file are defined by a third party; I am only retrieving and
processing it. I found a small example, with the expected outcome, that is not
too big to post here.  The input is (without the quotes):

"Q5YIjESWO5JDlpIbRzMVL0OW="

In here are contained two pairs of float values:

300.066772460938
1201.86157226562
301.141448974609
45845.18359375