I have a NSImageView and the user should be able to drag from it onto
the Finder which will then create a file. While I found this in the
archives

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/43556-drag-and-drop-onto-the-desktop.html

the docs and some other posts on the internetz suggest to use a "HFS
Promise Drag" instead

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/DragandDrop/Tasks/DraggingFiles.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001288-CEGJFDFG

http://speirs.org/blog/2009/12/5/hfs-promise-drags-from-ikimagebrowserview.html

So on a mouse down I am now calling

    [self dragPromisedFilesOfTypes:[NSArray arrayWithObject:@"pdf"]
                          fromRect:imageLocation
                            source:self
                         slideBack:YES
                             event:theEvent];

which initiates the drag session. When I drop it onto the Finder
namesOfPromisedFilesDroppedAtDestination: gets called.

Now while I could create the file in
namesOfPromisedFilesDroppedAtDestination: I am not sure whether that
is the correct place. The docs state "After a drag operation is
dropped, the dragging destination receives a performDragOperation:
message." but I don't see that method getting called at all.

Where is the correct place to create the files for the drop destination?
And will this also work when sandbox'ed?

cheers,
Torsten