On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:51 AM, Nick wrote:

> I am wondering, does Apple allow applications to use non standard controls,
> like completely "drawn-from-png" buttons and custom window that QuickTime
> Player X uses for playback control?

Sure, there are plenty of apps with custom UI (many by Apple :)

However, pay attention to Apple’s UI guidelines. Except in a game, don’t use
nonstandard controls gratuitously just because they look cool (even though
Apple does this all the time, sigh.) Or if you do, make them really, really
good-looking (this is what usually saves Apple :)

> Does Apple accept applications written using 3d party frameworks (Nokia (ex
> Trolltech) QT+QML)?

Yes. However, if I were you I wouldn’t touch QT with a ten foot pole. I haven’t
seen any QT-based Mac app whose UI wasn’t total garbage. And this does make a
difference; Mac users are pickier about UIs than Windows or Linux users. Having
an attractive, intuitive UI can give your app a big boost (there are blogs like
BeautifulPixels that are drawn to pretty UIs like moths to a flame), and having
an ugly one will get you dismissed by users/reviewers as “a lame port”.

My advice is to factor out the UI layer from your app’s core engine (which is
always good practice anyway) with a clean C or C++ API between them, and then
write a native Cocoa UI in Objective-C or Objective-C++. This will also be a
big help if you later want to do an iOS version, since iOS’s UI framework is
different from the Mac’s.