On Dec 24, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Jamie Daniel wrote:

> I am very new to Xcode and iPad development. I am trying to do the following:
>
> I have an initial NavigationController and ViewController. I am trying to go
> from a button on the ViewController to a SplitViewController using
> Storyboards but I can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone have an example
> of how to do it? Or an example of how to hand code it?

The iPad-Specific Controllers section of the View Controller Programming Guide
for iOS specifically says:

"A split view controller must always be the root of any interface you create.
In other words, you must always install the view from a UISplitViewController
object as the root view of your application’s window. The panes of your
split-view interface may then contain navigation controllers, tab bar
controllers, or any other type of view controller you need to implement your
interface."

This topic has come up here in the past, so you may want to search the archives.

Also, you cross-posted to the Xcode mailing list. This would be off-topic there
so I removed it in this reply.