On Dec 26, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> I'd avoid storyboards if I were you; they actually just make your life more
> complicated. And I'd avoid UISplitViewController! They are poorly written and
> rather inflexible. On iOS 5 if you want to split the view into two, you can
> easily do better than UISplitViewController, because you're now allowed to
> write your own container / parent view controllers. Here's an example modeled
> after the iOS 5 iPad Mail app:
>
> <https://github.com/mattneub/Programming-iOS-4-Book-Examples/blob/master/convertedToIOS5/p560p575splitViewNoPopover/p560p575splitViewNoPopover/MySplitViewController.m>

I'll put one vote in defence of StoryBoards. I agree with many of the things
you and Kyle have written about them recently, they don't feel finished and
have some bugs, can be challenging to use on a small screen, may not be
appropriate for large projects with many screens and the documentation is thin.
But I do like the concept behind them and for simple apps they've allowed me to
quickly hook up a framework for my concept, make sure the flow works properly,
adjust it until it does, and then flesh it out. Perhaps if you're a good UI
designer you can do that on a piece of paper, I am not a good UI designer at
all and like to have a way to mock up the interface. I think also they fit
nicely with iOS 5.0's improvements in UIViewController (especially containment
which I think should have been there at the start) and are worth a look. I'm
assuming Apple will continue to refine them and I keep filing bugs against them
when I see them.

Pet peeves of mine include the general bugginess (often making some kind of
edit will cause all the view controllers and segues to disappear, requiring you
to click on the list at the side to make them reappear, filed that one), my
view that custom segues are only half thought-out and only half implemented,
they should be called in both directions so the cute custom animation you write
to put something on the screen can take it off again and the monolithic
storyboard file is corruption waiting to happen in any shared project.  But I
don't hate them and I have found a place for them in my workflow.