On Dec 27, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Robert Monaghan <b...@gluetools.com> wrote:

> Wow, I wake up one morning, and the definition of Megabytes change.
> Did anyone explain this to the computers? The last time I checked, they still
> used binary.. ;)

In which case Mega- was never an appropriate prefix, since SI prefixes are
defined by powers of 10.

As the knowledge base article states, Mac OS X switched to base-10 file sizes
in Mac OS X 10.6 to reduce confusion and inconsistency with manufacturers’
stated capacities. If your application runs on both 10.5 and 10.6/10.7, you
should probably query the OS version and choose the appropriate conversion
factor.