On Jan 19, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:

> I want to print a date on iOS 5.0.1 ignoring the locale.
> (this is for logging - not for showing strings to users)
>
> I assume that NSDate has no sufficient parameters to control the output.
> So I tried to use NSDateFormatter.
>
> The desired output is something like:
> NSString *template = @"HH:mm:ss EEE dd. MMM yyyy zzz";
>
> NSString *dateFormat = [ NSDateFormatter dateFormatFromTemplate: template
> NSDateFormatter *dateFormatter = [ [ NSDateFormatter alloc ] init ];
> [ dateFormatter setDateFormat: dateFormat ];
> NSString *dateString = [ dateFormatter stringFromDate: someDate ];
> [ dateFormatter release ];
>
> 1. problem:
> The date gets output as year, month, day which is NOT what I specified.
>
> 2. problem:
> The output is: date time, NOT time date as requested.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Gerriet.

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

NSDateFormatter* dateFormatter = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] init];
[dateFormatter setDateFormat: @"HH:mm:ss EEE dd. MMM yyyy zzz"];
NSString* dateString = [dateFormatter stringFromDate: [NSDate date]];
[dateFormatter release];

NSLog(@"\n%@", dateString);

prints:
11:31:42 Thu 19. Jan 2012 GMT+01:00

The documentation could be a bit more clear in this regard, but please re-read
it ;)