On Jan 19, 2012, at 2:39 AM, cocoa-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com wrote:
> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:41:54 +0700
> From: "Gerriet M. Denkmann" <gerr...@mdenkmann.de>
> Subject: Printing an NSDate
> To: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
>
> I want to print a date on iOS 5.0.1 ignoring the locale.
> (this is for logging - not for showing strings to users)
>
> I assume that NSDate has no sufficient parameters to control the output.
> So I tried to use NSDateFormatter.
>
> The desired output is something like:
> NSString *template = @"HH:mm:ss EEE dd. MMM yyyy zzz";
>
> NSString *dateFormat = [ NSDateFormatter dateFormatFromTemplate: template
> NSDateFormatter *dateFormatter = [ [ NSDateFormatter alloc ] init ];
> [ dateFormatter setDateFormat: dateFormat ];
> …

A "template" for [ NSDateFormatter dateFormatFromTemplate: …] is not a format;
rather, it is just treated as a list of which fields are desired in a format.
The order and formatting of those fields in the template is ignored. The whole
point of dateFormatFromTemplate is to take a request for those fields and turn
it into an actual locale-appropriate format containing those fields in the
locale-appropriate order, with locale-appropriate formatting. If you want to
set "HH:mm:ss EEE dd. MMM yyyy zzz" itself as the format, then just pass that
directly to [ dateFormatter setDateFormat: … ].

- Peter E