On 6 Feb 2012, at 23:44, Jens Alfke wrote:

> So, what does the sample look like during the hang? What method/function is
> the main thread spending all its time in?

The sample output is kind of large (>1111 lines, available on request) but here
are some lines which might be interesting:

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
        __workq_kernreturn  (in libsystem_kernel.dylib)        7760
        kevent  (in libsystem_kernel.dylib)        2659
        __open  (in libsystem_kernel.dylib)        1806
        mach_msg_trap  (in libsystem_kernel.dylib)        797
        semaphore_wait_trap  (in libsystem_kernel.dylib)        12

The thread which has the long wait in __open contains:

1806 -[NSDocumentControllerOpenRecentMenuDelegate
updateMenu:withEvent:withFlags:]
1805 -[NSDocumentController(NSInternal) _populateOpenRecentMenu:includingIcons:]
1800 +[NSDocumentController(NSInternal)
_recentMenuItemTitlesFromLocationComponentChains:includingIcons:]
1800 -[NSFileLocationComponent iconAsAttributedString]
1788 __open  (in libsystem_kernel.dylib) + 10  [0x7fff8b1c9ad2]

The recents items look like:

file1
file2
someFile - folderA
someFile - folderB

Both folderA and folderB have their own icon (which is displayed in front of
"folderA" and "folderB").

But other apps with the same two "someFile" show no delay.
Nor does my own debug-version of TextEdit.

Kind regards,

Gerriet.