On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM, koko <k...@highrolls.net> wrote:
> Here is what I am trying to do.
>
> My users may scan a thread color say Robinson Anton Poly 40, by wrapping the
> thread around some cardboard stock and then placing this on the scanner bed.
> As you might imagine there will  variations in the color due to the thread
> being wrapped … peaks , valleys, reflections, etc.
>
> Now we want to bring that thread color into our embroidery program.  The
> scanned image may be on any connected display.
>
> I want to capture a rect centered on the point where the user clicked so I
> can get a best fit for the color.

Wait, you're trying to color-match against a specimen by _reading
color values from the screen?_

Does this not strike you as unnecessarily circuitous? Or fragile? Or
prone to unwanted interference from monitor color calibration?

Why not use ImageCapture to actually get the images straight from the
input device? Or if the user already has an image (preferably with an
embedded color profile), let them import the image file directly. Then
you can present your color sampling interface without any silly
screen-reading trickery.

--Kyle Sluder