On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:45 PM, Greg Parker wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:42 PM, Matt Neuburg <m...@tidbits.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Greg Parker wrote:
>>>
>>> The question is, who retains the observer? The __block __weak variable does
>>> not, because it's weak. NSNotificationCenter does not, as I understand it.
>>
>> It does, actually; thanks for pressing me on this point.
>
> The NSNotificationCenter documentation says:
> "Important: The notification center does not retain its observers…"

We may be talking at cross purposes.

If you register by saying addObserver:selector:name:object:, the notification
center does not retain the observer object named in the first param.

But if you register by saying addObserverForName:object:queue:usingBlock:, it
returns an observer object, and the notification center *does* retain that
observer. And, since that block will probably mention self, and since the
observer effectively consists of a wrapper for that block, the observer is
retaining you. Hence the cycle. You *must* unregister or you will leak
yourself. The example I cited shows how to do that.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 5! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023562.do