On Feb 23, 2012, at 7:24 AM, Michael Babin wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2012, at 6:59 PM, Rick C. wrote:
>
>> I have a panel with a number of text fields where a user should enter
>> numeric values.  These text fields are setup with Sent on End Editing so
>> that if the user presses enter or tabs or changes text fields the value will
>> be entered.  The problem is sometimes a user just types in a value and
>> that's it...no enter, no tab, no changing text fields and the value is never
>> received.  How does everyone else handle this and what can you recommend?
>> Thanks,
>
> If you're using bindings, set the Continuously Updates Value flag of the
> Value binding on your text field.
>
> If you're not using bindings, implement the controlTextDidChange: method in
> the text field's delegate (if your text field doesn't have a delegate, set
> its delegate to the appropriate controller object).

As pointed out by a sharper reader than I, these methods would change the
behavior of these fields to always updating on each change.

If you're looking for a method that would preserve the behavior of changes only
sent when exiting the field (tab, enter) or when the window is closed (or
similar event),
I'd recommend the approach in the TextEdit sample's Preferences class:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/TextEdit/Listings/Preferences_m.html

Particularly, the -[Preferences windowShouldClose:] method, where you set the
window's firstResponder to nil.