On Retina display devices, such as the 3rd generation iPad, I found that the
system font returned by [UIFont systemFontOfSize:] is a font whose family name
is not included in the array of font families returned by [UIFont familyNames].
 The family name that is returned is ".HelveticaNeueUI"   Non-retina display
devices return "Helvetica" as the system font, which is in the familyNames
array.

My question is:  Why is the system font now excluded from the array of
familyNames?  Does the dot in front denote some kind of private status?  The
documentation for [UIFont familyNames] says it "Returns an array of font family
names available on the system,"  but clearly there are more font families on
the system.  If I go on to use the family name of the system font to create a
new font, (eg. [UIFont fontWithName:size:]) will this be flagged as using
private APIs?

UIFont documentation doesn't say anything one way or the other.  (Until
yesterday, our app assumed it would find the system font family in the
familyNames array, and wasn't prepared to deal with failure, so it crashes on
launch on iPad 3s.  Yikes!)