On Mar 19, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Jon Brooks wrote:

> My question is:  Why is the system font now excluded from the array of
> familyNames?  Does the dot in front denote some kind of private status?

A “.” or “%” prefix on a font name has always (literally back to 1984) meant
that the font is not user-visible. It’s just a hint to the font UI to skip that
font and not show it in a menu/list/whatever.

I’m pretty sure this doesn’t equate to private API in the current App Store
restrictions, especially since this is the name of the legitimate system font.
I can’t imagine why you’d need to use the explicit name anyplace, but it
shouldn’t be a problem.

—Jens