On Apr 4, 2012, at 4:38 AM, Ariel Feinerman wrote:

> I think the question was asked and answered but I cannot see a clearance
> what is the right way to write init in the cases the arguments are nil or
> wrong?
> Returning a nil or raising an exception?

If the argument values are literally wrong — if it's illegal to pass those
values — then you raise an exception. The idea is that this must represent a
bug in the program, so you abort what's going on to keep it from going any
further.

If the situation could occur in a valid program, but should not create a new
object, then you can release self and return nil. In this case it's often good
to return an NSError or other error information to the caller, i.e. as an 'out'
parameter.

—Jens